Welcome to Evil Flowers Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Recruiting: Editors [Open], Cleaners [Open], & Typesetters [OPEN]

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Tessa

Tessa

Jan-itor

• Founders
  • 3961 posts
  • LocationRomania/Bucharest

Donator

At the moment we're looking for EXPERIENCED editors only!
Please be DEDICATED. Don't apply if you don't think you'll have the time to do it.
To be an editor you need to know what an editor means.
See this tutorial: The Idiot's Guide to Editing Manga
An editor doesn't fix spelling and grammar mistakes, that's the proofreader's job. As an editor you'll need to clean the raws and put the english text on them.

>CLICK ME for the cleaners test< [OPEN]

Spoiler

You have to read the following BEFORE you start the cleaner test.
Spoiler

>CLICK ME for the Typesetter test< [OPEN]
You have to read the following BEFORE you start the typesetter test.
Spoiler

Please read the instructions in this first, then send it to us by email or leave a post here. You can upload archived the files (zip or rar) in either MediaFire or Dropbox.

If you have problems posting on this forum or sending private messages, please check that you have validated your account first. If your profile says "Group: Validating" you will not be able to post or send messages until you have activated your account via email.

WhimsyPanda

WhimsyPanda

Transient Mirage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWith my harem
Posted Image

I'd like to apply as an editor (as a typesetter). I have some small experience, being in three groups, but I'm afraid I'm still a newbie. Posted Image I'm willing to learn though...whatever it takes to become a master at it lol

Cheesecake

Cheesecake

Cake Emperor aka Co-Head Editor

• Administrators
  • 1770 posts
  • LocationCheesecake World
The masters always start at the beginning. Why don't you take the test first then I will train you from there?
Being in 3 groups, are you sure you will be able to typeset for us? That sounds like a lot to me.

Spoiler

Ani

Ani

Loli Secretary of Affairs of the Boss' Team

• Proofreaders
  • 785 posts
Note: As someone who was previously in 3+ groups, I don't recommend joining another one even if you do have a lot of free time. Once you get busy, you're not going to be able to keep up with all your work in those groups. I was only able to stay in all my groups for about 2-3 months before "retiring" one by one...Posted Image

Princess%20of%20the%20Lolis%20%28made%20

-------------------------------------------------------------------

LAST UPDATED: 12.07.15

Position: (Ultra Slow) Proofreader/(Ultra Slow) Cleaner/PRQCer

Work, work, work~ :3

Spoiler

Layla Malkal

Layla Malkal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, I'd like to help with Evyione as a cleaner. (I'm not that good with type-setting.)

I have previous experience, too. Thanks. ~

Cheesecake

Cheesecake

• Administrators
  • 1770 posts
Posted Image

Spoiler

Matdredalia

Matdredalia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there! I wanted to post here and ask a few things (and present my case) before applying for a position. Basically, I didn't want to apply if it would upset someone.

It says that the group is still looking for a Cleaner/Editor for Kaze Hikaru, and I would be very interested in helping with that project as it is my absolute favorite Shojo manga, and it would be an honor to help bring it to other people.

However, I'm new to Editing/Cleaning, and while it says you guys don't want newbies, I thought I'd plead my case.

First of all, I taught myself how to use Paint Shop Pro at twelve years old, and did a fairly good job of it. I also taught myself web-site coding (HTML & CSS), Photo Shop, and general computer maintenance. Because of my ability to teach myself things & learn from the internet, I believe I'm more than capable of learning the skills needed as an Editor/Cleaner. I've already been pouring over everything on Editing I can find online and have learned much in just a few days. I also have obsessive compulsive disorder, which makes me very, very aware of little imperfections in pages, even in official, paid manga. I'd also like to note some of the tools/skills I have at my disposal that I think make me capable of doing the job:
  • I've been working with graphics programs heavily for around 12 years. I started on Paint Shop Pro, but swapped between PSP and Photo Shop depending on my needs. I've used Photo Shop exclusively for the past few years.
  • I own a Wacom (graphics tablet) & can use that for various needs in cleaning, redrawing, etc. I think it would also allow me to put some nice touches on special effects. I actually drawn anime/manga style characters on my computer. So, I think what I've learned from drawing myself will help me be diligent and precise when touching up pages. I also think that my tablet will help since instead of drawing with a mouse, I'm basically drawing with a pen.
  • I'm a complete perfectionist. While I can't promise that my work would be perfect, as I said, I'm obsessive compulsive, and I'm never more OCD than I am about my own graphic work (as I mentioned, I draw anime/manga style characters, although I'm always still learning and improving. I also do pixel art and light graphic design), so I can promise I would give 150% to this project. As I said, it's my favorite Shojo manga, and as such, I hold it in such high esteem, far beyond my own work.
  • I have multiple sclerosis, and because of this I can't work. I won't get into the details (However, I promise I'm not just a leech. I'm trying to find treatment that works so I can finish college). However, this means I'm at home, constantly. I have A LOT of free time to dedicate to the project, so I won't be limited on time and won't have to try and fit it into my schedule. I can make the project a priority, and can get chapters finished in a thorough, precise, timely fashion.
So, in closing, I am basically asking if you would consider an inexperienced Editor/Cleaner if I can prove that I have the ability (I'd be more than willing to provide sample pages I've worked on while learning, as well as take the tests).

I also wanted to ask how exactly the group defines "Editing". I've found groups that consider an Editor the same as a Cleaner, but without Typesetting. From my understanding, what you are all looking for is someone to do pretty much everything listed in the "Idiot's Guide to Editing Manga" from prepping and cleaning, to editing and typesetting, correct?

For the record, I am more than willing to all of those jobs, and after reading through the different How-To's and guides on many pages, I really think I can do the job. But, I wanted to be sure before I submitted an application, as I don't wish to be rude or make anyone upset.

Also, while I really want to work with Kaze Hikaru as I'm so passionate about the series and know it so well (I would feel comfortable as an Editor because I know the style of the graphics and whatnot), I did notice that the group is still looking for a translator for KH. So, if you are willing to let me be an Editor/Cleaner, I'd be willing to work on another project (I don't know any of the other series, but I'd be willing to learn about them) to work on that as well, while the group tries to find a translator for KH. I'd also be willing to work on KH & another project if asked. I'm very passionate about manga in-general, as my "dream job" is to be a Manga-ka.
However, I'm American and OEL manga isn't very popular, so that will probably never happen. Posted Image

Thank you for your time and consideration. Arigatou!

Cheesecake

Cheesecake

• Administrators
  • 1770 posts
Some of us have free time right now and can train you if you think you're inexperience. For the moment, we don't have a translator for KH yet, but I'm sure Tessa can come up with something. Please take the test located on the first post. Also, I would consider reading these guides beside the one you mentioned.

http://senbonzakura.kageyoshi.net/
http://www.deathsver...ls/cleaning.php
http://www.deathsver..._to_editing.php

Feel free to stop by our Chatango if you have any questions.
http://evilflowers.chatango.com/

Good luck!

Spoiler

Tankitha

Tankitha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Cra~~~~~azy
In the instructions for the cleaner test, it refers to 'HQ' and 'MQ' raws. What does this mean? I know it's not completely relevant to the test, but I would like to know.
~Love cookies. They make you happy.

I am an artist, a bookworm, and a color enthusiast. I am a lover of fashion, cartoons, and my family. I am a Mormon.

You can see my art at my art site and at Deviantart.

AyukawaAine

AyukawaAine

Translreadsetcheckerator and Messenger of Fail

• Moderators
  • 579 posts
  • LocationSingapore

In the instructions for the cleaner test, it refers to 'HQ' and 'MQ' raws. What does this mean? I know it's not completely relevant to the test, but I would like to know.

These are listed in order of base criteria. Lower quality will only meet the first couple points while higher quality will meet them all.

• Pages are white (not yellow, pink, or gray)
  • Edges of the page are not visible (no black lines around edges of page)
  • Japanese text is fully removed (not just written over in English)
  • Page is properly leveled (not overleveled)
  • Black areas are fully black
  • White areas are fully white
  • Borders are redrawn
  • Line art is clear and unbroken (not blurry)
  • Gray areas are uniformly solid or patterned (not blurry or distorted)
  • Text outside of bubbles has been removed and the picture redrawn
  • White line art and details are redrawn if needed

Of course there are many degrees of meeting these criteria. Black areas can be mostly black or gray areas can be fixed up but not redrawn.

The sizes for the scans are also relevant, which is why we use different measurements for different quality raws :)

Posted Image

I'm such a lazy person, so I'll just use Google Doc to record my progress xD

Progress Report! :3

Updated on 12/8~

ssgmcgary

ssgmcgary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey all;
What kind of workload are we talking about here? I could probably handle about 200 pages a month (more after I become acclimated),that is cleaning, redrawing, proofreading and editing (I have a full time job so I can't do more then that right now, lest you got cha-ching, kidding).

Joey

Joey

Cat Cat Cat~ Cleaning Cat~

• Editors
  • 116 posts
  • LocationCanada xP
200 pages a month Posted Image apply apply!!! the workload isn't that bad because it usually depends on how many projects you take and yup. we do let people work at their own pace but we do have occasional deadlines for big releases such as christmas or new years. please apply xD.

btw Posted Image XD

Edited by Joey, 29 December 2012 - 11:11 AM.

Cleaning

Spoiler

Done xD
Spoiler

soysuva

soysuva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Um, for the editor position, I was only looking to apply for typesetter as that's the only thing I know how to do, but um...do I need to know how to do both to get this position? oni100 I'm really interested in the typesetter job, but not the cleaner job as I have no experience in that position. oni66

SoRa.

SoRa.

Head JTL & CTL - Kitty's Queen

• Administrators
  • 514 posts

Donator

Um, for the editor position, I was only looking to apply for typesetter as that's the only thing I know how to do, but um...do I need to know how to do both to get this position? oni100/> I'm really interested in the typesetter job, but not the cleaner job as I have no experience in that position. oni66/>

Hi soysuva,

No, you don't have to know how to do both cleaning & typesetting to apply. In the first post, you'll find a separate test for Cleaners & Typesetters. You have the option to do either one of them or both :D

Good luck!

SEMI-ACTIVE

123456.png

Last Updated 26 September 16

Currently working on:

Spoiler

Completed:

Spoiler

Ruu

Ruu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
I feel really stupid right now, but... where's the editor's test? I saw the cleaner and TS-er ones, but I could not find the editing test. I feel like the answer must be right under my nose, so could someone just link me or something? I'd really like to help out! : D

Nekomikoto

Nekomikoto

Retired-ish

• Administrators
  • 1973 posts

Donator

The editor's job is broken up into two stages: cleaning and typesetting. Some people prefer to be only cleaners or only typesetters. If you can do both then you are an editor :)

Last Updated: 3/9/15

A pic for the lulz

YourdreamRain

YourdreamRain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Excuse me please :D/> I would like to apply as a typesetter and a cleaner?
I've been experienced with photoshop since 2010? so I would gladly share my skills with you.
Here are some I edited :DD
Hopefully I'll pass
They are .rar files that contain the jpeg and psd file of the photo I edited

Cleaner test
Typesetter test

Edited by Cheesecake, 28 August 2013 - 05:38 AM.
Please read the Nov. Rose's post below.

November Rose

November Rose

Typevixen McFoxsetter™

• Editors
  • 224 posts

Excuse me please Posted Image I would like to apply as a typesetter and a cleaner?
I've been experienced with photoshop since 2010? so I would gladly share my skills with you.
Here are some I edited :DD
Hopefully I'll pass
They are .rar files that contain the jpeg and psd file of the photo I edited

Cleaner test
Typesetter test

Please use OUR tests that are on the first post of this thread. Thank you for applying and good luck. Posted Image

christmas3.png

Spoiler

Unie

Unie

3-Stars Proofreader

• Moderators
  • 430 posts
  • LocationNorth Pole

All of those in favor of failing those who don't follow in the instructions in the first post, say "Aye."

Updated April 16, 2016 Just keep swimming~

Spoiler

Cheesecake

Cheesecake

• Administrators
  • 1770 posts

But I need more editors/cleaners oni68

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users