Sign in to follow this  
Lorrie

cosplay supporting manga

Hello, Just thought I would throw a topic grenade in to learn more about evil flower's members. I have been reading manga for about 3-4 years now. I think its becoming a bigger trend or fashionable thing to do with the cosplay scene spreading around the world. I think sometimes Australia can be a little backwater place when its so slow to pick up the pace of running trends.

I am enjoying One Piece, a bit of Fairy tail, Bride of the water god among others and tend to drool buckets over anime films by the Studio that produced Spirited Away.

My notion is that the manga may start out on its own way, but its people who enjoy it so much that want to cosplay the characters that the recognition of the manga comes to light. Its amazing how it flows when social media drives kick in. Its advertising at its best.... because it is free!

In some things regarding manga-cosplay connection it is a chicken/egg scenario; granted. Fans hold true as they are our best advertisement when spreading the word about great stories.

I sometimes give my opinions on a variety of books; in essence I am a story critic. I guess that's why I have become fascinated with the balance of artistry & the lyrical prose of the writer.

Well, I have enjoyed my gas bagging or flapping my gums. I look forward to some sort of reply to my blabber. Meantime, read well! oni55

Hi Lorrie ^^

Seeing your recent join date, let me first start off by saying welcome to the forum! It's always nice to see not (yet!) staff people contribute to the forum as a lot of the activity is normally attributed to staff, who hang around the most. With that said, in response to the actual content of your post I must say I agree and disagree (what a typical answer eh, hehe). I think that the cosplaying of characters seem to happen more often after the anime version has come out (as opposed to originating from the manga). I think it's just a lot easier for people to visualize what a character looks like, without having to color in details themselves, that makes cosplaying characters that have appeared in anime a lot easier; there are a few manga that I followed which weren't popular cosplaying choices until its anime version came out. You could also say that a manga will only be made into an anime if it is popular enough so perhaps it's all just a coincidence (I don't think so but alas~ possibilities). I do agree that cosplaying probably helps a lot in promoting the content to non-regular manga/anime fans since it's just fun to share photos of people wearing unique and well made costumes (or the alternative extreme of supreme oddness =P).

Btw, the studio that produced spirited away is called Studio Ghibli. I really like their art as well and I can never remember how to spell it correctly without having to check ^^