shechan

how exactly does a manga raw look like?

hi~ i have always been wondering about this 'cause i intend to buy copies of my favorite mangas.

i have no idea how the actual copies sold out there look like, cause i've read online eversince.

uhh, what i found on bookstores look like mini books, so are those actually the ones? hm, they're small, and so i started wondering if they're the same kind you use for your releases.

and, uhh, sorry for asking this small stuff in the forum, when i could have asked on chat. im so sad about not being able to use your cb. oni68 ahh well, that makes me an official lurker in the cboni101

someone said i'm not banned or anything, so i guess my notebook here is the one at fault oni6 anyway, thanks for the releases, esp. koizora @ pika ichi :D

Uhm well, if you download the cleaner test and look at the raw pages you can get a general idea of what it looks like?Particularly 003-004, 007 are greyish (before you level it out) and kind of grainy looking depending on the texture of the paper that it was printed on. Uhm...oni102 I dont realy know how else to explain it.

Im not really sure about the mini books either oni100 but maybe you can go to your nearest library and look at how some manga are like?

I'm only speaking for Japanese language manga, because that's the only kind I have experience with. The books have smaller dimensions than English ones, and they're published on paper that's lighter and thinner. Overall, Japanese manga volumes are designed to be cheap and compact, not big and sturdy like they are here. This is just a difference in culture... in Japan, manga is something people trade around, sell to (and buy from) used bookstores, and sometimes just bundle up and put on the curb to be recycled. People also appreciate the compactness, because otherwise there's just no space to keep a lot of books. Prices there are typically 400 or 500yen new, 100yen used. On the other hand, manga volumes published in North America are big, sturdy, shiny, colourful, and expensive, and are meant to be like trophies on your shelf.

Summary: Japanese 'raw' volumes are indeed smaller than the books sold in North America, and are also produced more cheaply. However, they're also priced way more cheaply to match (if bought in Japan).

Yup, Tronny is awesome.

To answer your question, yes, we do use those tiny books for our scanlations.

JP manga also tend to have removable cover flaps as well FYI

And if you'd like to see a side by side comparison of an original JP manga versus the official American version...

I hope this helps you find your favorite manga in Japanese.

IMG00970.jpg

IMG00971.jpg

ooo cool! I never knew about that oni23

thanks for the cultural lesson tronny and the visuals hola-bean!

Edited by Nekomikoto

thanks!oni36

@neko, i tried going to various libraries...but not a single manga dwells in their shelves oni89

so i think i'll just go with what's in our bookstores (though they're kinda expensive O_O)

@hola, thanks for your visuals there :)

and tronny, explanation clear! XD

yea, our libraries are a bit......well, whatever :(

--> perhaps mangas are not too popular here, so they don't have them ~

i kind of feel envious when people said they read them in libraries. oni30

No mangas in libraries here either. I could only find them online to order.

Hmm. I owned some manga which I ordered online. Shipping fees are overwhelming as they are more expensive than the manga. Hahaha.

Anyway, how the actual manga looks like depends from publisher to publisher, but generally they are pocketbooks or mini-books as you call them.

For Hana To Yume Comics, the layout of the books are always the same. So whenever you see a manga that has a layout like the images below, then for sure that's from Hana to Yume:

Koi Dano Ai Dano series <333 (images are mine)

9267097.jpg

9267269.jpg

9267358.jpg

However some magazines like Lala DX also publish our fave series. The magazine looks like this:

(image not mine)

img_0138.jpg?w=500&h=375

I'm not sure if this is correct though, but the difference between a book and a magazine in terms of content is that there are no omake or extras in magazines. Also, there are no character profile in magazines as opposed to the books. oni103

I basically live in manga paradise. Manga are readily available in Traditional Chinese from bookstores (new and second hand), manga rental stores, libraries, and manga cafes for an avarage of 100-140 NT$ (a bento costs about 70). There are two branches of Kinokuniya which stock manga and other books in Japanese.
There are quite a few Taiwanese artists that create manhua whiich are fun to read. I haven't looked for translations from Korean into Chinese, but I know I'll find English versions here. oni45