x5nyan

I'm going to a new school :c

I am going to a new school... And i just turned 14 so im kinda scared of going to new school and a new state. Any advice??

Well, I've never experienced transferring to a new school in a new state at age 14, but I've experienced it when I was about 9-10 years old. ;o

Question: Are you transferring in the middle of the year or before school starts?

If you're transferring before school starts, then don't sweat it. There're bound to be other new students in your grade/school.

If you're transferring in the middle of the year (based on my experience), you'll probably just be the center of attention for a while until you make friends and everyone gets used to you. XD

I won't bother scaring you by mentioning the terrible... I mean, wonderful possibilities that will arise from making new friends. 40.gif

Overall, it's not that difficult to adapt to a new environment when you're still that young. (Says the one who was 14 last year.) XDD Just relax and focus on having fun at your new school~

You'll be fine. New environments are always a little scary, but just try to smile at people. The process of making new friends goes much more smoothly if you do because looking people in the eye and smiling makes you approachable. This is especially helpful if you're shy because even if you can't start up a conversation with someone, you can at least make it easy for them to make the first move. oni55

Awww don't worry ^.^ it can be scary but if you remain happy and smile (like Tronny and Ani said) it should all be ok :) chat to a few different people and make friends that way :) or join a school club! That could help ^.^

Good luck <3

Like Tronny said, smiling and initiating the conversation yourself does make it easier to make friends, but if you're like me, shy around strangers, then it'll still be fine (as long as you're not a tsundere and are rude when you don't mean to be XDD). People seem to love transfer students if they come in the middle of the year. I've always thought it strange that they behave like transfer students are a new species they must talk to. 99.gif

Er...well, if you're going to a new state, there'll probably be a culture change for you. Each state has it's own quirks that you'll learn when you move there. I don't know if it's like this for other states, but even in my state the south and north have different atmospheres. I've transferred schools twice between elementary, middle, and high school but always during summer. I've also had someone at my new schools since I had family and a friend there already...Hmmm. If you go to church or play in a little league, you might ask your teammates/church members if they go to the same school you'll be transferring to. That'll give you someone to talk to at least.

Transferring schools isn't as scary as it seems. Sometimes it can be exciting since you get to do a bunch of new things you never thought you could before. Also, most people don't notice you're a new kid unless you tell them or go to a really small community in which all the kids go to the same school since kindergarten.

Joining school clubs really help! That's how I meant my best friend now. ^_^ I also played soccer in elementary school and found my best friends there.

I remember in elementary school I followed my cousin around. Then I met other people in daycare after school. They talked a lot to me and incorporated me into their group. I just sort of laughed at everything they said 'cause they were really funny people. It wasn't until a few months later that I actually began making jokes and having conversations with them. So, it's ok if you're shy at first.

In the long run, it's ok to be scared because there's a possibility that you might not find anyone like you. However, just keep trying ^_^. School doesn't last forever.

Just remember to make a great first impression...When I moved from California to Iowa it was a big change for me. I didn't know much about Iowa until I got to the school and realized that I was the ONLY Asian in my school but because of that I made a lot of friends pretty fast. After another 2 years, I moved to South Dakota and again...The only Asian in my school but it didn't stop me from making friends. Just try not to distance yourself from people, that just makes it harder for you to make friends.

Like what the people from above said, join a club. Not going to beat a dead horse so...

Just try to throw yourself into groups introduce yourself...You know like in anime and manga. it does help if you're social person than being an anti-social person.

Keep an open mind. The other students are not going to hate you.

I was a transfer student in 6th grade, and my biggest mistake was acting unapproachable, and that everyone hated me.

Back then, it was the worst part of my life. Now I see it as the best.

Thank you every one im acctually trasfering to california so i was kinda scared that the people there would be a lot more different than hawaii... Since i lived on an island most of my life im kinda scared to move to a big place thank you every one oni43for the good advice and i will hold them close to my heart when i get there

Just remember to make a great first impression...When I moved from California to Iowa it was a big chance for me. I didn't know much about Iowa until I got to the school and realized that I was the ONLY Asian in my school but because of that I made a lot of friends pretty fast. After another 2 years, I moved to South Dakota and again...The only Asian in my school but it didn't stop me from making friends. Just try not to distance yourself from people, that just makes it harder for you to make friends.

Like what the people from above said, join a club. Not going to beat a dead horse so...

Just try to throw yourself into groups introduce yourself...You know like in anime and manga. it does help if you're social person than being an anti-social person.

um i went to a private school that had only asian people so i thought it would be hard to adapt to a public school. I was kinda afraid of the public school students but now i will try my best!! Because i think a lot of them are nice!oni43

Make sure people know that you're from a different state. THEY LOVE PEOPLE FROM A DIFFERENT STATE!!!

They will then do everything in their power to LOVE and ADORE you haha (okay maybe not that extreme, but yeaaah)

That way, it strikes up conversation.. like "Ohh, what's it like over there?" "I've been there before" or "I used to live there too!!"

annd then proceed to be the coolest kid in town 8D... (maybe)

It's tough transferring... but middle school is still early on, so I think you'll do fine =]

AND CALIFORNIA IS AWESOME!! (extreme bias) They will adore you if you're from Hawaii. (because it sounds interesting)

Which part of California are you moving to? (if you don't mind me asking)